VISION House® Aspen
Click HERE to View Sponsors
The Green Builder VISION House Program is a series of demonstration homes built around the country that showcase the implementation of green design, building techniques, and products & systems. Each house utilizes site-specific solutions for solving key green building issues including energy, water, land, resource use, waste management, and indoor environment quality.
The VISION House series is a unique marketing opportunity for product manufacturers to reach the expanding segment of the residential building industry that is hungry for information about green building. In the “living laboratory” of a VISION House, manufacturers demonstrate key attributes of their green products and systems. Green Builder Media covers the VISION House series regularly in Green Builder magazine. Additionally, the VISION Houses attract significant local and national media, providing excellent promotion for sponsors. VISION Houses have been written up in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, and have been on the NBC nightly news and the Today Show magazine.
The VISION House ’09 Aspen demonstrates the styles, technologies, and products appropriate for a ‘mountain contemporary’ custom home in a high-end resort setting. The VISION House Aspen showcases that Green is glamorous, resource efficient, durable, and cost-effective. The VISION House Aspen is located in a spectacular setting on McClain Flats on the outskirts of Aspen, Colorado. The lot has 360-degree panoramic views of Aspen Mountain, Snowmass Mountain, and the Upper Roaring Fork Valley. The area has a rich history steeped in mining and is now a leading international mountain resort that attracts a wide variety of tourists from around the globe.
The goals of VISION House Aspen were to:
- Design and build a house that is site-specific, climate driven and glamorously green.
- Develop a model for sustainable development in the Roaring Fork Valley that can be replicated in other world class locations.
- Provide multiple educational opportunities and ongoing testing of products and systems.
- Compare multiple different green building programs, including the Pitkin County Efficient Building Program, Built Green Colorado, NAHB National Green Building Program, and LEED-Home.
- Design and build a house that meets the expectations of high-end buyers in the Aspen market while showing how a sustainably-constructed can reduce environmental impact, operating costs, and long term maintenance.
- Develop a model for a carbon, energy, and water neutral home.