CROSSVILLE, Tenn. - Crossville, Inc., domestic porcelain tile manufacturer based in
Crossville, Tennessee, has announced the latest sustainability figures based on two of
its major, industry-leading recycling initiatives: the Tile Take-BackTM Program and the
collaboration with TOTO USA. Both initiatives are based on Crossville’s proprietary
process for recycling fired porcelain products, including post-consumer materials; this
is a capability unique to the manufacturer.
Between both Tile Take-Back and the TOTO USA partnership, Crossville has diverted
11.2 million pounds of fired porcelain from landfills during the last two years (as of April
30, 2012). 100% of the company’s U.S.-made products contain a minimum of 20%
scrap fired porcelain and/or post-consumer reclaimed materials. In 2011, Crossville
became a net consumer of waste because of the magnitude of its recycling initiatives.
Tile Take-Back Program
The Tile Take-Back program is Crossville’s answer to the major environmental problem
facing the tile industry today: the recycling of fired tile. Because this program is so
beneficial industrywide, Crossville openly accepts post-consumer tile from other
brands and projects not originating from Crossville, as well.
Since 2009 to April 2012, the company has:
- · recycled more than 4 million pounds of fired tile produced at the company’s
- plants that would have previously gone to landfills
- · received and processed 159,188 pounds of post-consumer tile from outside tile
- renovation projects
- · Yielded more than 141,000 square feet of tile produced with post-consumer
- recycled tile in it, thanks to Tile Take-Back.
TOTO USA Partnership
In 2011, Crossville partnered with sanitaryware manufacturer TOTO USA to receive and
recycle that company’s fired porcelain refuse.Today, there is recycled content in every
square foot of porcelain tile produced by Crossville because of the harvested material
from TOTO, reducing the need for raw materials for tile production.
Since February 2011, Crossville has:
· received and recycled more than 7,074,060 million pounds of scrap porcelain
from TOTO and
· achieved the inclusion of recycled content in 100% of the company’s U.S.
Tile Take-Back and the TOTO USA partnership are just two of many sustainable
practices Crossville maintains companywide. For more information about all such
practices, visit crossvilleinc.com/sustainable_practices.
About Crossville Inc.
Crossville Inc. is a U.S.-owned and operated manufacturer of award-winning Porcelain
Stone® and Design Solutions™ tile and Natural Stone Collections for both residential
and contract applications.
Known for leading innovation, Crossville is the first U.S. tile manufacturer to achieve
- produce large format tile on site,
- manufacture tile with certified recycled content,
- develop the Tile Take-Back™ Program for recycling fired porcelain tile
- achieve certification of its waste recycling programs
- achieve TCNA’s Green Squared certification for all of its U.S.-produced tile lines,
- distribute a complete line of large format, 3mm-thin porcelain panels and
- become a net consumer of waste.
For more information on Crossville, visit crossvilleinc.com.